The Planning Advice Service


Guiding the householder through planning permission

 and building regulations

Contact Us

Regional Booklet



At the Planning Advice Service we distribute and target our booklets directly to every household which request Planning Permission in your area.


View a Sample Booklet Now

Guiding the householder through planning permission and building regulations

If you are considering any of the following modifications you will need to draw on the The Planning Advisory Group’s expertise and support:

floorplan• Conservatories • Garden Walls
• Drains • Embanking • Extensions
• External Walls • Carport
• Fences • Garage • Terracing
• Gates • Fuel Tanks • Greenhouse
• Porch • Roof • Shed • Signs
• Hedgerows • Outbuildings
• Kitchen Extensions • Summerhouse
• Garage Conversions • Trees

What is ‘Building Work’ as defined
in the Building Regulations?

The definition means that the following types of project amount to ‘Building Work’:

  • the erection or extension of a building;
  • the installation or extension of a service or fitting which is controlled under the regulations;
  • an alteration project involving work which will temporarily or permanently affect the ongoing compliance of the building, service or fitting with the requirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of buildings;
  • the insertion of insulation into a cavity wall; and
  • the underpinning of the foundations of a building.

Am I required to consult my neighbours
about my proposed building work?

Generally there are no obligations to consult your neighbours, but it would be sensible to do so. In any event, you should be careful that your proposed building work does not interfere with their property as this could lead to bad feeling and possibly civil action for the modification or removal of the work. For example, your work may comply with the Building Regulations but could result in the obstruction or malfunctioning of your neighbour’s boiler flue.

You should also check your boundary lines and satisfy yourself that there are no deeds of covenant which may prevent you carrying out certain types of building work close to or directly adjoining your neighbour’s property.

Seeking advice and choosing your builder

Unless you have a reasonable working knowledge of building construction it would be advisable before any work is started to obtain appropriate professional advice which is relevant to the building work you want to carry out (e.g. from an architect, a structural engineer, a building surveyor a heating engineer or replacement window specialist) and to choose a registered builder or a registered installer to carry out the work.


small conservatory conservatory virtual-house loft-conversion modern-kitchen roofer-nailing-tiles-2